tommy armour silver scot forged irons

The 845s isnt terribly game improvement by todays standards, but in 1987 it was top-shelf tech. Slucker turned TearDrop around almost immediately and must have figured he could do it again. Theyd also show the 845 and the customers would say, Im only going to stock one club, do you want it to be the 845 or the EQL? The sales reps were no idiots. In other words, a better-looking PING Eye2. Putter. Tommy Armour VCG Forged 60* 8* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S200 Shaft New Grip Lefty . Fantastic irons, especially for the money. Review Of Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot Irons. Tommy Armour Zaap . Tommy Armour Products - Mikes Golf Outlet Same Modelsame Stated Regular FLex. Icons just wont go away. . The best story will receive the #1/500 set of Tommy Armour 845 Forged irons. That both companies were relative bargains should have been a warning. He was a brilliant club designer. I don't hit em that much, just a few times to get that nice low rising trajectory that todays clubs can't provide. $35. Weak advertising support combined with production problems compounded the issue, creating months-long backorders and impatient customers with money to spend but no Tommy Armour product to buy. Year 2020; Brand . Gini was in the Computer business with banks as her clients. I still have room for improvement on the former. The Clubs. Thats where 835 came from, so the 845 was just 10 more.. MacGregor introduced the Tommy Armour Silver Scot Tourney in the 1940s, predating the Tommy Armour company by nearly40 years. . . We shook hands and had a terrific run until Mike Magerman CEO of Odyssey bought the company. Tommy Armour Silver Scot Collector 3-PW, SW Iron Set RH Steel Shaft Gilford Securities Analyst Casey Alexander put it bluntly to Crains Chicago Business that year. in Golf Talk, By If you want new persimmon, Louisville Golf still makes them. Chose these courses for the simple reason they were less than ten minutes from our apartment ( Regal Oaks in Kissimmee). Thats not surprising since the 845s long irons have been designed for power and accuracy. I love how these irons carry the loft deg on the face. Pat. I fell in love with them and liked them better the Pings I was playing. Mike. Theyre walking on a tightrope.. I did that for 15 years before going to work for PGA Golf and eventually Tommy Armour.. Fantastic article! The club itself was a labor of love for a lot of reasons and Im proud to say I took part in the development and launch of that product Ive always had a soft spot in my heart for it. Wedge. From there, the journey takes some pretty crazy twists and turns. If they crack it wouldn't be a big loss. They looked relatively low played, Ive since added a SW and GW (W4). Shafts are Rifle 6.0 and grips are Golf Pride! golfinbrad I am interested in trying them out myself, but have not been able to physically put my hands on a set to see how they are. Started 44 minutes ago. TSI driver, 3W, and more, TSR4 Ventus Blue TR, Rogue ST LS Fairway Ventus Red, Get ventus black 7x performance with softer feel in your 3w. Apart from that it was presented nicely. Tommy Armour 845S Silver Scot Single 4 Iron Tour Step Stiff Steel Mens RH 38.5" . But you can also say the company was a victim a pawn in a much larger chess match between corporations and personalities that didnt know their own limitations. Shot some of my best scores with these until they were stolen. I had them for several years and also believe many manufactures copied the tech in these clubs. Classic irons. *This content is backed by the MyGolfSpy Integrity in Advertising Promise. 845. I always wondered what became of the PGA brand. TommyArmour 845s SILVER SCOT Irons - Ironfinder At that same time, the TearDrop putter company was riding high, thanks to Rudy Slucker. connor.sexton11 Huffy, as it turned out, was sinking faster than anyone realized. document.getElementById( "ak_js" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); The Worlds Largest Unbiased Head-To-Head Driver Test. NOW AVAILABLE: GolfWRX G/Fore Hats and Holderness & Bourne Polos! WHo cares? Tommy Armour 845S Silver Scot Iron Set 3-PW Tour Step Stiff Steel Mens RH. TearDrop had been a financial mess until Slucker who made so much money in the hardware business he was able to retire at age 40 came to the rescue. 2i > 9i iron set: 1956-57 MacGregor Colokrom - Tourney M85, forged blades with copper faces T. T. Tourney, regular flex shafts. I saw Jim Gallagher use this model at the Belfry Ryder Cup Sadly it also embraces the ptifalls of overnight success, there is never a first time homerun. NOW AVAILABLE: GolfWRX G/Fore Hats and Holderness & Bourne Polos! I am a seven handicap. Talk about hitting a game-winning grand slam in your first at-bat. A friend has the newer TA-1s from Dicks, and I have to say, they are the real deal in game improvement clubs. AND still own TWO (2) Nickent Pipe putters. What a great article and history, sad to say I spent the 80s sort of affiliated with Tommy Armour and didnt know it, I was selling Victor Calculators and PCs lol. The grounds crew has been at it hard for a while now. Rare 1963 Macgregor Tommy Armour Silver Scot A2 Iron Set Rh, 2-11, New Grips. Las mejores ofertas para Putter de hoja pin Hi #020 / RH / acero ~34,75" / agarre bonito / gw5719 estn en eBay Compara precios y caractersticas de productos nuevos y usados Muchos artculos con envo gratis! Titleist SC Studio Design 2.5/Cleveland HB 11S. Vibratory finish. Is there a source for the codes to determine what year and other info? Swung those irons (stiff graphite shafts) for 10 years before I realized I couldnt anymore, and mostly because my swing slowed and the technology got so much better. The Story of an Icon: The Tommy Armour 845s | MyGolfSpy At 56 years old, the Ford Mustang is still as cool as ever. Its an engineering miracle that the 845 was designed in a kitchen with new weight balancing and turned out to be a solid performer, maybe even a trendsetter! Jack Nicklaus broke a lot of face inserts and his primary driver used through about '86 was repaired many times, and this using balata. Please put and questions or comments here, Please put any questions or comments here, Please put any questions of comments here, Tommy Armour Silver Scot Cavity Back Forged. I haven't noticed the inserts getting nicked or dented, but I think you're right it's not worth messing up a nice piece of wood. Well, glad you enjoyed it. moreso than the mx-23? MACGREGOR TOMMY ARMOUR V.F.Q. But a youngster in Tanzania i donated these Evos seems to be doing quite well with them and is now a single handicapper. For example: every time my clubmaker bends vokey's they are like butter, but when he was bending my 54* sm to a 52* he was grunting and you could hear it creak and pophe got it to 52* anyways but I was a little scared. 35. Awesome!!! Passed my PAT to get into the PGA using these clubs. iacas, January 26, 2020 Not noticeable at address. Bought 1 set of new clubs Hong Kong pings told guy who made them didnt like them. Sales reps would go into accounts to show the EQL, said Hoeflich. I still have my old woods in the closet (PGA Tommy Armours from the late 70's and a set of Golfcraft Dick Mayers from the 50's) but I'd be too scared to actually hit balls with them ever again. Tommy Armour 855s Golden Scot Men's Graphite Sr Flex Iron Set 4-SW 394471874309. Young players today like challenge of trying to hit the MT's 2 iron. . Players who know about the history of the game and care about things like golf history and the evolution of golf clubs probably have a good understanding of the Tommy Armour brand. Well see if MGS can put their money where their mouths are when it comes time to release Most Wanted lists in conjunction with how much each OEM has paid them in advertising or wine-and-dine trips to their HQs. Would it surprise you to learn the man who designed the Tommy Armour 845s started out teaching high-school English? At nearing 77, a severe stroke, two knee replacements and hit by an automobile while waking, I am blessed to still be able to afford and play the greatest game on earth seven days a week here in Sarasota Florida at Palm Aire Country Club. I heard about J.C. Goosies Spalding tour in Florida and realized Florida was much more affordable for a Mini Tour player. But if you appreciate history and the people who made it, the 845s is a reminder of simpler times when real people, like John Hoeflich and his team, created real things that mattered. Still playing 3 Nickent hybrids (a 2, 3, and 4), and still hitting them well. Fore! A deal was finally struck in July of 85 and, after working out a deal with the Armour family (Tommy Armour died in 1968), PGA Golf officially became the Tommy Armour Golf Company. So much I never knew explained so well. Plays his DCIs. About the only difference was the M75's probably came original with T. T. V Chrome shafts and the M85's. Tommy Armour Golf 855 Silver Scot Irons - Golfreview.com Thank you for all your help John, and for the kind words. The very first Tommy Armour irons werent made by Tommy Armour at all, but by MacGregor, and for a very good reason: there was no Tommy Armour company at the time. Found a set of barely used berylliums that are still sitting in my basement. John is an aging, yet avid golfer, writer, 9-point-something handicapper living back home in New England after a 22-year exile in Minnesota. Could you imagine a marketing guy today designing the Mavrik irons with some melted candles at his kitchen table? I got mine on ebay for $158 shipped from proshopwarehouse.com. Stealth irons vs. P790 irons - how do you decide? Tommy Armour 855s Silver Scot 5 - 19, 3 - 15 Wood-Regular 855s . I am sure Dicks, who started small, will be a superb asset. Brings out shiny set of 845 bc beryllium copper. Yes they are weaker lofted by todays standards (for example my Callaway Diablo Edge 7i is 32deg, the same as an 845s Silver Scot 6i). Brand Tommy Armour; Head Weight 258 "C" Dimension 1. . MGS has been spitting out things for a long time. When I think of Tommy Armour 845s .. they were extremely popular and could give any of the pro line club sets of the time a run for their money as they were a excellent iron, Im thinking the 845BC was about $1100.00 with Mitsubishi graphite shafts. Probably the cheapest way to get into forged player's blades. My set is 2-GW. That why I bought a set for my collection. I have the Silver Scot MB Blades and I also love them. . I did and trade and buy for these irons in 95. We found +57,254 Used and New deals on Iron sets in Harrisburg, PA! Page One says cut expenses by slashing R&D and marketing to the bone. Page Two says cut prices to make the sales numbers look good to investors, margin be damned.. The No. Tommy Armour Products - Mikes Golf Outlet I was an English teacher and I had a friend who helped me get a job as a sales rep for MaxFli golf balls, Hoeflich told MyGolfSpy. Not sure, but I couldn't find a threadaddressing vintage (40s,50s,60s,70s) Macgregor clubs. It seems nearly every golfer has a story involving the original Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845s. I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. Mine are waxed after every round. Just picked up some Tommy Armour 855s Silver Scots By that time, Burke was marketing clubs under the name PGA Golf under a licensing agreement with the PGA of America. I think, as was pointed out in another MGS Article, Dicks is creating a new business model after receiving 3rd degree burns from TaylorMade. Karma or maybe the ghost of the Silver Scot himself had the last laugh as Sports Authority filed for bankruptcy in March 2016. However, now that I am in England I opted to attempt to qualify for the Sunningdale Senior PGA Open. The 845s stayed current in Tommy Armours catalog for seven years an inconceivable run considering todays one- to two-year product cycles. All Shafts & Components; Club Heads; Shafts; Shaft Sets; Grips; Grips Sets; . The 845 Forged irons are priced at $999 (set of eight . Hogan and Tommy Armour spent the next several years duking it out for the No. That came from the back end of my buddys car, a Porsche 928, says Hoeflich. Great clubs. C $267.01 . That sure as shootin could have been written in 2020, couldnt it? . Dicks apparently understands what it has in the 845s, which is why the namesake is making a comeback next month. Im not hating on anyone, its brilliant marketing. (2016 2020). What a great club in the 90 s . I refuse to get rid of them. Silver Scot #6. We need to hear those stories. As I recall from the old days I was told that hitting surlyn/solid balls with woods would destroy the inserts, or the faces if there was no insert. Celebration was $30 more a round, and I reckon thats a fair premium. i look forward to seeing what Dicks has in the pipline. How about the old Ben Hogan Precision irons.? When they first came out, Golf or Golf Digest or some rag tested them and reported the highest percentage of putts made from 20 of any putter they ever tested. I was a Hogan staff member until I left the game in 72.. Did not pick up a club for 10 years but later got a set of the early 845S irons. They have an ebay store and a regular website. Tommy Armour. Huffy Chairman Don Graber said, This acquisition is a significant step forward toward our strategic vision of positioning Huffy for future growth as a diversified, branded sporting goods company.. Did you read it or just skim over it? Titleist 718MB Irons 3-PW | Golf | Gumtree Australia Mornington Thanks John for the great article and taking me back down memory lane. Amounts shown in italicized text are for items listed in currency other than Canadian dollars and are approximate conversions to Canadian dollars based upon Bloomberg's conversion how forgiving are these irons? Tommy Armour Mens 845s Silver Scot Irons 3-PW Stiff Steel Set. Atlanta, Georgia 30328 | 877.481.5750. Gamed them until I discovered my Mizuno MP-32s. When balata went away, those guys went in the closet---. Some irons just happen to be very stiff and brittle and others very soft. *We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site. Irons are solid and give as good a feel as my Titleist 695MB or Nike VR Pro Combo's. These clubs have been well kept and are in great condition. I live the wing back look. These clubs have been well kept and are in great condition. Tommy Armour PGA Forged Blade Irons Set 3-9 Stiff Steel Shafts RH Nice. That, ultimately, is how Sports Authority came to own the Tommy Armour Brand. Your previous content has been restored. Saw these offered for around $150 free shipping and thought I'd give them a try before I spent $1000 or more on Mizuno or Miura. They sure did give Ping a run for the money back then,as they were less expensive and performed as good. Was told this by "Armour Customer Service." $20.00 shipping. 1995 was the beginning of the end for Tommy Armour, even though it didnt look that way. The best part is when a golf pro at a course happens to look in my bag they go bananas and are super impressed that I am still putting them through their paces. Learn how your comment data is processed. But I guessHaters gonna hate., I didnt know that the 845 and DCI had the same designer, but Im not at all surprised. Great piece of history. The club that came out before the 845 was actually the 835 Silver Scot metalwood, said Hoeflich. Cast from 431 stainless steel with a thin L-shape face insert (to assist shots struck low), steel weighting with tungsten . 6 0 0. Tommy Armour 845S Silver Scot 6 Iron 6 Iron Stiff Dynamic Gold Steel 0968725. Not sure which year but I am guessing one of the later production years in the mid 90s because my set do not have the loft stamps on the face of the club like the original sets from the 80s had. Tommy Armour Women's 2021 845-MAX Hybrid/Irons. You can see the 845 influence all over Nickents cavity backs, and they used tungsten heel and toe weight pads well ahead of the rest of the industry. I bought my 845c on ebay for $130 brand new and the musclebacks used for $63.00. 14 watching. No Matches Found - GlobalGolf Those little back pads became the signature look of the 845s and Hoeflich whipped up a prototype the old-fashioned way. The clubfitter for my replacement set said I should keep the MT irons for historic purposes. Absolutely, but when the competition innovates and you dont? I put a special tri wall shaft in them when I worked at True Temper. Celebration was in fantastic condition, the greens were smoother and faster than FF( about a 10.5 ) and they sped up more as the sun sparked up. it only costs 60 to 70 dollars brand new so its definitely worth. Upload or insert images from URL. Next Hooters restaurants, Mike McNeil agreed to add $50.00 per week to the purse provided we change the name to the Hooters Tour. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. By the end of 97, TearDrop purchased RAM Golf for $10 million and Tommy Armour for $24 million. FOR SALE! But they always loved selling clubs. Mr. McNally told me if I would relinquish the name The Hooters Tour and rename it The Tommy Armour Tour, his Company would add $10,000 a year to the purse plus give all registered Tommy Armour Tour Players a tour staff bag at no cots and the 845s 1 iron through all four wedges for $190.00. Nor many 3 putts because I am usually with 2 ft.. At 78, having a lot of reading knowledge, and club building; witnessed Ping start up with a putter and the comparable recent computerization of the carbon-poly golf shaft, allowing superior advances, I sure hope Tommys clubs incorporates these improvements and can compete with Callaway/Taylor, etc.. Way before I had interest in golf, but my hometown has a lot of history with MacGregor. Within days of the sale, Tommy Armour released the 845s. Gloves; Tees; Towels; Divot Tools; Ball Markers; Training & Aids . By 1977, Victor Comptometer was purchased by Kidde, Inc., a New Jersey-based maker of everything from Jacuzzi bathtubs and Farberware housewares to lighting fixtures, fire protection equipment, and hydraulic cranes. Not bad for a guy who spent his early working life pitching Shakespeare to teenagers. Tommy Armour Silver Scot Forged Irons 3-PW right hand standard length and lie with the Rifle 5.0 Factory Flighted Shafts and like new Grips. Get the best deals on Tommy Armour Vintage Golf Clubs & Shafts. His next iron design the Titleist DCI Gold was another home run and, not coincidentally, had the same basic offset and profile as the 845. $24.99 USD Calculate Shipping. Back in 1992 it didnt get a lot cooler than Freddie and JD. If you have questions about this era ofg, Just buffed up, lengthened a half inch and regripped a set of MT Tourney. Shop by category - ebay.ca Tommy Amour Royal Scot Golf club Set with bag The frequent recycling of the 845s from one company to the next seemed emblematic of something unhealthy about the golf industry from the 60s forward. 13 watching. It's easy! Well Done, John. Maybe form forged though. They are just awesome and still totally playable irons. I have studied and still use as a reference the Jim Kaplan MacGregor and Wilson golf history catalogs. Golf Club at the best online prices at eBay! On sole: TOMMY ARMOUR. 2 through Wedge for $20 bucks after trading in the "then very popular" 855's. . MyGolfSpy, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Driver. Free shipping for many products! Played these for ten years or more till a club pro said get in 20 century. Played the silver scotts for 12 years, even carried the 0 iron for awhile! I gamed them up until this past fall when I opted to get a set of newer GI irons. August 13, 2014 in Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting.

American Select Lacrosse, Wreck In Woodbury, Tn Today, Triumph Spitfire 1500 Engine Rebuild, Cicero De Republica Translation, Articles T