excuses to get out of drill weekend

If you needed proof that these idiots have not clue, this is it. Ill come out again soon when Im in a better place. Its not a video game. Anyone attending Drill Sergeant school in June of next year? Could we catch up at a less hectic week? If you have a family or work obligations that conflict with your drill weekend, there are a few ways that you can get out of it. Somebody is implementing this program, and is either intending it to be voluntary (and your boss is going rogue) or intending it to be mandatory and *really* not thinking it through, and either way I would think the CEO/Owner would want to know about it if you cant get anyone else to listen to you. If you have blond eyelashes and typically wear mascara skipping that..theyll think youre on deaths door. Calmis about simple, achievable habits that workwith the demands of your busy life instead of pretending those demands don't exist. They were rushed out of the pool without their towels (not time, not with lives at stake) and had to hide in an unheated locker room for 2+ hours afterwards. If you felt deeply about every shooting you hear about as you did about the first, youd be in a padded room. Lost colleagues and students. Sobe verysureof both of these conditionsotherwise you are going to end up in a more awkward situation. Here are some tips: have to leave your house if they say yes. My cousins little kids all speak so matter-of-factly about the drills. and Youre Currently Waiting to Be Rescued by Your, make a call and tell them how your place is flooded with water and you need to fix it. SEVEN HOURS? All-day training puts it in a very different category. I cried, honestly, because even though it was very low key and not big budget, it was very effective at showing what its like, to have a normal work and school day completely turn on its head. At the time, I had an employee for whom the video would be too much. Youre exhausted from your week and want nothing more than to collapse on the couch and watch an unhealthy amount of Netflix. If anything would persuade me to learn how to do make-up well, its this lmao. Would you mind if I took you out for some drinks another time? (He had zero experience in law enforcement and the military.) If someone has a heart attack in my vicinity, I can call emergency services or run a few hundred yards to get the defibrillator, but someone else will have to start CPR. Also for people who have been IN mass shootings or have experienced gun violence, these trainings can be very psychologically damaging. this isnt an Im calling my lawyer so I can sue knee-jerk thing, its consultation on employment law and options when the obvious ones are made inaccessible for one reason or another. You have a medical issue an active shooter drill is detrimental to your mental health. Like, the drill should be a relatively calm way to practice and build some muscle memory to rely on in case the thing happens. But what on earth could take 7 hours for active shooter training alone that would actually be useful? Typically blanks are fired inside of the building (sometimes without specific warning) to simulate real scenarios. Any good boss and company should want you to stay home and recover if you're sick. Nope. There is not a single f***king thing funny about suggesting you would direct the shooter to kill someone else. Including expert advice, conversations with wise friends from all walks of life, easy ideas to try, activities to complete - and the little things that have made a difference to her own, sometimes-bumpy life - this book is a friendly reminder that Calm is a place that exists in us all, we just have to find our way back to it. Communicate early and often with both your NG chain of command and also with your college professors. 10 Reasons Why You Should Work From Home Today! I totally relate to the letter writer. If you look at the links other commenters have posted, theres actually little evidence that making people go through traumatic active shooter drills teaches them anything that they can put in practice if it really happens, so the usefulness of these drills is questionable at best. Wtaf. I second Alisons phrasing of opting out as a prediction of the future, not as a request: I will not be participating, so how should we proceed? While participating in this @#$% drill would be doubly-triply horrible for you, it is not good for anyones mental health and, as Alison mentioned, most likely wouldnt do any good. And just like that, my butt is covered. Take care of yourself! Nowyou dont have a spare tire,and you are afraid that the mechanic workshop maybe closing. On a serious note this post and the sheer volume of responses speaking to this issue as being so common scares me so much. 30 Good Reasons To Call Out Of Work - Rigorous Themes If theres a way you can make a suggestion for future years, our district moved to virtual trainings that we now have the ability to complete over the summer on our own time. Since BA schedules are published well in advance, Soldiers have plenty of warning and should plan accordingly. I have tried to transfer out of this unit 3 times. What About Attending a Trade School Instead of College. I would absolutely call in sick. Its probably the post practical workplace safety training Ive had since the generic mass produced run-hide-fight videos are worthless in a real situation. We also have a conscript army, which means that the vast majority of young men and an increasing number of women who volunteer learn to use firearms appropriately. The conference was originally scheduled to take place during AT but when they learned I couldn't go they rescheduled it for specifically me. I ended up going through orientation like four times, and in later ones I just stepped out of the room for that part. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your experience in the Drill Army Reserves: As someone who has been in an active shooter situation all the training you do doesnt mean anything when the threat is real and all that training is going to do is disrupt the workday and traumatize employees. We do this because it means that most of our friends and loved ones will not have work obligations and will be able to attend and share the event with us. A text like this will save you up from any long unnecessary, especially if you cant come up with any other genuine sounding excuses at that moment. I didnt end up having to attend the training, but I was never able to respect my grandboss in the same way after that. I didnt wear makeup one day because I didnt feel like it. Between the GUN SHOTS outside the classroom, and the unbelievably unqualified instructor who gleefully talked about all the times his hyper-vigilance protected his girlfriend on the mean streets of our farm state, it was too much. I spent a little time thinking about what I would do if we were robbed. Dear god. But in terms of living vs. surviving, it doesnt affect me at all in the way LW described. This LW has already had a lot of training. 3) (last resort) try to take down the shooter. them how you need to fill up for one of your colleagues for an extra shi. Editor-in-Chief & Career Development Expert. (They literally had us hiding in our offices while the public was still in our spaces creating a safety hazard while doing safety training!) Read More Why Quiet Quitting Your Job is Not All Wrong?Continue. Unfortunately, David is your work colleague, and this party is a big deal for him. Take care of your mental health first. Theres probably a very long, very poorly formatted slide deck theyll go over for at least several hours. that just sounds unrealistic. They were told that had this been a real event, they would be dead. Ugh I feel for this OP. You can approach the second-in-command, if you believe that person will be more receptive than your boss. OP, pick whichever option works for you, but I would think explaining yourself in a firm, unwavering way would not only be empowering to you, but also eye-opening to your boss. Everyones Crying Over Adams Poem From Season 3 Of Sex Education I was impressed with the tone of the announcements over the PA that communicated to the teachers that they should close their classroom doors, not take their classes out to recess, and so on (I dont remember the language they used) and the teachers just carrying on teaching as if nothing were happening. BUPERS Instruction 1001.39F. These are typically held one weekend per month, and they can last anywhere from 8 to 12 hours. For example, you can offer to work when others would rather the time off such as during the school holidays, on public holidays, and days when people would like to be away from work such as New Years Eve and Christmas Eve. Call in sick. I know he isnt *always* a jerk, but hes really being a jerk about this. Just reading the stories in this letter and in the comments has given me nausea. I was when I first went to this unit 5.5 years ago. I'll keep it short. A drill period is usually one 4 hour period. A teacher friend told me shes never been so proud and so sad as when one of her students went to the supply closet and distributed scissors and protractors to his classmates during a suspected active shooter event. As the first step in run-hide-fight, you totally should call in sick, say you are running. If this were a short (10-20 min) drill, Id say you might be out of luck. For one we were on lockdown. I dont remember anyone ever failing a fire drill, but I definitely went home that day with the impression that wed failed this one. Im so sorry you had to go through that. Im sorry you are going through this, OP. When I was at job from hell, looking at a full day meeting from hell that would solve nothing and put me in a similar place to the OP, I seriously considered getting takeout with my allergen in in, dramatically puking in a trashcan, and leaving for the evening/next day. Large auditorium. It was a tough meeting. Top 10 Excuses to Get Out of Work - Shout! Factory Absolutely unnecessary. See you in hell. You have a family trip planned 3. I wouldnt call in sick as I would let them know in advance Id be out. No pressure if you cant! Yup, my mom had one of these drills at her school and it was exactly as you described, plus talking about how to determine whether or not to try to save a child who has been shot. I had a stalker threatening to kill my family / loved ones for (years? You dont even have to do it well! update: is my future manager a bigoted jerk? how do I get out of an active-shooter drill at my office? Plus employers (not mine, fortunately) discourage/forbid their employees from reporting assaults on their person and tell them thats part of the job. consider that he might be telling the truth. Thanks for that i now have the Byker Grove theme tune stuck in my head, which made me think of 90s Ant and Dec and now ive also got Lets Get Ready to Rumble looping around in my stupid, sleep-deprived brain! This is a great excuse becauseit instills a sense of panic within the person youre cancelling on. As for how to do it, realistically youve got four options: 1. Should issue directions? My direct boss fought it and tried to get me excused, but her boss was firm that it was required. I am fairly traumatized by all this, because what if it IS a fire and/or flood this time and not just a glitch in the system? The training process can take awhile, so dont expect to be an expert overnight. Also on the 7th floor so its not like we could break a window. You dont know how you will react until you are in a situation, but a one-time seven hour LARPing of a horrible situation will not help you and certainly can traumatize you. If you have the sick time I would call in sick the day before the training as well. I would not call it a mental health day and I would consider missing a couple of days so it does not outright look like I skipped the particular day. There's something wrong with your stomach, something pukey. My last workplace did the hide in your office training, which was lackluster in different ways I definitely found it mildly triggering due to experiences Ive had, and we received no training on how to protect our customers. So better use that if its the 20th or later of the month. I skipped out a couple times for various reasons, then had to go in at night, or serve with another unit. My husband once sat in a darkened classroom with his kids hoping not to die once. Go somewherea hike, a spa, a museumon that day. You can go the formal accommodations route. Really, you could. My ability to consent to this work activity was removed, and I repeated to Jerkface that I did not consent, and he said that was fine but I had to do it anyway. excuses to get out of drill weekend - zirpp.org I could see someone thoughtlessly approaching it like rehearsing a play. No job is worth your life. For context, I work at a facility that stores large quantities of hazardous materials. Emergency response training can be very useful because the correct thing to do can vary for different scenarios and in different buildings (go to x interior room in a tornado, versus get out of the building via the stairwell in a fire, call campus police first and then 911 or vice versa for a medical emergency). https://bit.ly/3SDoQpc. One of the victims was paralyzed instead of dying and there was a lot of stuff about how tragic this was, implications that it was worse than death Not much fun when youre a physically disabled teenager being forced to attend this event. With Katrina, it was a mix of local ordinances & state laws which essentially banned communications on specific frequencies. Regardless, it may be worth a try anyway. Ugh. Privacy Policy. These are done periodically at the large state university I work at. Also: Now after 30 years, trying to get out of teaching. The shooters there werent interested in us as long as we stayed on our side of the street. Its one of the reasons (not the only one, but one nonetheless) I dont teach anymore. Whats your advice?. Is it a valid excuse to miss national guard drill if I go to - Quora Im sure your guests wouldnt want me coming and spreading the germs anyway! Mass shootings have been happeing for years im sure he remembers sandy hook, Virginia Tech, etc. Look after yourself. Everytown has some resources regarding that as well. The first thing that could happen is that your commanding officer could give you a verbal or written counseling statement. Please believe him. /lolsob/. It took maybe 30 minutes total. LW, I know youre worried that your boss will call you triggered or a snowflake or otherwise weak, but it is in fact very strong a brave to calmly stand firm at your limit. You are sick. Why is it gaining popularity amount employees and it is not exactly a bad thing? They did this at a local mall. I also grew up in the earlier era of school shootings, before they did things like training for kids. Because then a bad guy could find them. For example, Jewish people have the Shabbat, the Jewish Day of Rest, which occurs each week from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday. That kind of multi-hour practical drill strikes me as very useful. Commander's and NCO are told to have everyone present but service will not allow them to give true problem Soldiers discipline for attendance issues. Sorry, I got a bit over-emotional here, but anyways you got what. Not sure if you can find information about it in English, but here in Japan we have frequent fire and earthquake drills; there is also a very loud and scary alert that goes from the earthquake detection center to your cell phone. Criminals have bad aim and bullets dont discriminate. A good chain of command knows who these employers are as well as are able to come up with ways to work with the Soldier to deconflict. They told the older members what to do. Others believe that you should use your weekends to relax and recharge. But this comment made me want a like button. Exactly. Training as part of orientation. What poor timing! I have ptsd. In last couple of days coming home from work, I see what appears to be potential road rage & it scares me. I got upset, started crying, and had to ask to leave. Your Child Is Sick 5. They used to kind of joke about the fire alarm being pulled and then a school shooting happened where a fire alarm was pulled and kids were shot leaving their classrooms/building. Practicing locking doors/closing windows, leaving the building like in a fire drill, knowing how your employer sends out emergency info and the basics of what to do are perfectly sufficient and are applicable in many situations. Im not sure I agree with Hes a nice person.. I resent our new hires for setting better work-life boundaries than our company normally has, hairy legs at work, my office sent me a random TV, and more, heres an example of a great cover letter with before and after versions, my employee cant handle even mildly negative feedback, my new coworker is putting fake mistakes in my work so she can tell our boss Im bad at my job, insensitive Diversity Day, how to fire someone who refuses to talk to us, and more, weekend open thread February 25-26, 2023, assistant became abusive when she wasnt invited to a meeting, my coworkers dont check on people who are out sick, and more. Some places would accept that and back off, others would, horribly, demand details. OP Thank you for writing in. Assuming I cant get additional details about the itinerary or assuming I do, and it includes a simulation or other modules that I know will be extremely triggering to my mental health what do I do? Take more than a day offI suggest you take the following day off, too. This whole topic is not funny in the least, but I have to admit I snort-laughed when I read about that factory worker. I can say that Im unsurprised, and that thats an attitude that explains a whole hell of a lot that people write into this blog about, like flat wages, exploitative culture, and the constant fear of losing a job and not being able to afford food/exorbitant rent/anything else that was once upon a time attainable. Same with mine; customized by law enforcement but the only customization was Oh yeah all your doors are glass so hiding isnt an option! This is horrific. But more than that, your boss thinks it would be funny to direct a terrorist or mass murderer to go kill someone younger? And honestly, shes been doing them her whole life in school. And I dont live in bad area.. Not minimizing the OPs fear but I relate to it. In the end, escape room idea was scratched and we did a scavenger hunt instead. Ive been there on a college campus, and, as such, soak up all the training I can get, especially because its a good way to find out about new data, like the fact that run-hide-fight might not be useful; that its good to keep a supply of water nearby; and to not hide in restrooms anymore. Ah, I bet you live in the same city as me. Excused absences are just what they sound like - don't have to come in and won't count against you but you also can't make them up. Im a teacher and this comment might be where I have to stop reading this thread for my own mental health. And weve had a former employee fired for making death threats, who did come back to cause trouble at least once, who would know where all the exits are if he was going to do something worse, I also have been dealing with bomb threats and shooter drills since middle school. I was lucky enough not to have to go through them, although they do make us watch online training videos at my job now once per year. Excuse 2 | You Punctured Your Tire. This seems to be a growing problem. I am tired and frustrated that my unit has decided to disrespect my schedule and time. I mean, there are so many reasonable and sensible and logical ways to respond to being told to toughen up, and theyre all better than this, but sometimes If youre making me do this I want it in writing that when I forget this is a drill and deck somebody you pay my legal bills and I dont face any disciplinary action whatsoever is the way to their dear little dinosaur brains. This is a terrible approach in many ways and I genuinely hesitate to suggest it, but if you feel that #3 is your best option, when I had bosses like that the times when I could manage to, I guess, meet their style, went better than times I couldnt. The drill was ultimately canceled after my employers legal counsel also reviewed the release and advised that an employer should not be asking employees to sign it. We then had a staff meeting to discuss their concerns and a number of my staff expressed anxiety about mass shootings, workplace shootings, and what their kids went through with drills at school. Guessing they will breakout into groups and tour the building to find safe places to hide or ways to block paths. 3. I bet too many people at work would opt if they could (even just for if Im going to be at work I have actual work to do) and make it not useful training. Even though I knew exactly what was happening, my hands were shaking so much that I couldnt lock my door. Warning mentions simulated situation and actual shooting. Hes a cruel person, who happens to be nice to you. It may help to know as a 5th option for opt out that the law enforcement facilitators will almost always offer the opportunity for individuals to opt out of simulation portions by self identifying at the very beginning of the training. I knew people involved in both. CLICK HERE to get your copy of Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come from Book Depository. I have 2 young children, not quite school aged.

Loveland City Manager, Desert Trip 2022 Dates, Cooper London Jason's Daughter, Pinehurst City Council, Why Did Josh Leave Dual Survival, Articles E